Jackie has lived in the Borough since the Eighties. She runs a well-established, cleaning business employing a team of 30 local cleaners and enjoys spending time with her grandchildren and at her Millworth Lane allotment.
Jackie was a town councillor for 8 years and served as a magistrate for many years,
She says; "Whilst isolating we have all learned new communication skills using Facetime, Teams and Zoom but I'm looking forward to being able to chat on the doorstep again. I value the opportunity to talk with you individually about the issues which concern you and I am campaigning on these 3 issues:-
1. Planning Permissions being sought for new builds.
2. The general congestion particularly Basingstoke Road.
3. Speeding through School Green.
My 3 local priorities are to focus on achieving:
- A path across School Green from the pavement to school gates. It is a worn patch in summer and a muddy stream in winter
- The dangerous opening at the new estate virtually opposite Millworth Lane. For the safety of all, there should be either a designated crossing or a pavement leading towards the nursery.
- A controlled crossing point at Footpath 11 from Deardon Way across the new avenue
As the 2021 Conservative candidate for Shinfield South I have been knocking on doors to speak to residents nearly every Saturday and mid-week up to Lockdown. I also met the Headteachers of Shinfield Infants and Juniors which two of my grandsons attend and with the Parent Support Advisor to understand the needs of these schools to be able to offer outstanding education to local children and to appreciate the challenges facing parents.
Since April I have been a Covid-19 community Support Volunteer in partnership with Wokingham Borough Council, weekly phoning 5 different shielded people to ensure they have supermarket deliveries, prescriptions and food parcels. I also donated food to the Community Hub.
The Headteacher of Shinfield Juniors contacted me twice seeking my assistance: a local mother needed help with an overgrown garden which is being rectified; and another mother with two girls were living in atrocious conditions at Basingstoke Road and is now being rehoused. I was very pleased to help resolve these issues and I am actively working to resolve local concerns about the bus service which is not travelling the full length of Hyde End Road."