STANDING UP FOR SHINFIELD
Wokingham Borough Council’s Local Plan Update is a very important strategic plan which will shape house building locations across our Borough for the next 15 years.
Therefore, it is vital that if you are concerned about more development in our area you take this opportunity to make your comments before the deadline of 5pm on
Monday 24th January 2022.
Why should I respond?
We all support more housing in this country but we need it to be in the right places.
For the last 50 years, all Governments have required local authorities like ours to identify and approve housing sites to meet nationally imposed housing targets for up to 15 years ahead.
The updated local plan will decide the areas where house building will take place up to 2037.
These sites cannot be removed later which is why it is essential that you give your views NOW by taking part in the consultation process.
We believe that local input is very important and we want to help everyone to make sure that your voice is heard.
How do I give my views?
- You can respond by either a letter to: Growth and Delivery Team - Revised Strategy Consultation, Wokingham Borough Council, Shute End, Wokingham RG40 1BN
- or an email to LPU@wokingham.gov.uk.
- Or go online and complete the survey at: https://engage.wokingham.gov.uk/en-GB/
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
We believe that Shinfield South has taken more than its fair share of new housing.
We will continue to speak out against any new inappropriate housing developments that would impact our community.
If you are concerned about 4000 more houses being built then respond with your comments by Monday 24 January.
10 good reasons you could include in your comments on the local plan update.
1. Shinfield and Arborfield parishes have taken a disproportionate amount of housing built in both the 1991-2006 and 2006-2026 Local Plans.
2. We need to protect our greenfield open spaces and avoid further loss of our beautiful countryside.
3. Choosing a large site in between the current Shinfield SDL and the Arborfield SDL will overload the A327 traffic corridor.
4. Traffic can already be heavy on the A327 and adding 4,000 houses will only add to the congestion experienced by residents.
5. The lack of dedicated access to the M4 for the Arborfield SDL will cause increased traffic on the already congested A327 and A329 roads.
6. The provision of medical facilities in the Arborfield and Shinfield SDLs is already behind the target in the current Local Plan and adding more patients from 4,000 houses will make matters worse.
7. Schooling is already an issue in the Shinfield area at both primary and secondary school levels and adding 4,000 houses will exacerbate the current problems with providing enough places.
8. There are alternative sites elsewhere in Wokingham Borough.
9. Many residents in the A327 corridor use the M4 at Junction 11. The current traffic levels on the M4 pre Covid have absorbed the additional capacity provided by the smart motorway upgrade. There is no additional capacity available for the traffic from the Arborfield SDL.
10. There is no direct access within the Arborfield SDL to a local train station for new residents.